F*@&%(G COLD house! At least it was in the winter an ancient house with no insulation, and a window unit to keep the whole place warm.
In case you can’t tell I don’t miss my old house. Or my old property managers who have so far failed on every possible level… violated the lease? Check. Failed to do maintenance that I have in writing that they promised to do? Check. Rented a house with multiple safety and health hazard issues? Check. And lastly, blatantly ignored maintenance requests, such as cleaning the gutters when we moved in? …Checkmate.
I’m so glad we’re out of that house… Unfortunately, the lease doesn’t officially expire for two more days, and we still hadn’t cleaned the place after the big move-out. Yesterday found K mowing the backyard so that it wouldn’t look the way it did when we got the house, and I was inside wiping down the non-water-damaged/collapsed cabinets and magic-erasing the baseboards.
This is what we walked into:
The smell was nauseating. This is what happened in a very, very short time of our not living there and not spraying down our lives with vinegar on the regular.
Just so you might be able to be as horrified as I was/am, here are some more gems for you:
I want to vomit just looking at the pictures.
We lived in that house for eleven months. The only things I’m happy about right now are 1) we’re not in that godforsaken moldy box anymore and 2) we spent hours upon hours, and a lot of vinegar, meticulously washing every piece of fabric and wiping down everything else. Everything. It took forever, but we knew we didn’t want that mold to travel.
What I can’t help but wonder, at this point, is how much of the hellishness that I went through the last two semesters can be attributed to that disgusting house and mold toxins?
Winter will tell, honey bees.
As it is, my own link between the moldy house and my new one is, at least, limited to severe allergic reactions to mold. I slept with a roll of toilet paper (cheaper than tissues – don’t hate!) in or next to the bed every single night that I lived in that house, and I had a huge flare-up at least once every f’ing day where my face would swell, and my eyes, the skin around and inside my mouth, my throat, and my nose would become so itchy that I literally couldn’t function until the itching subsided. I would have started to think it was normal if my nose didn’t magically unclog within fifteen minutes of leaving the house. Like clockwork. Why does itching have to be so maddening?
Had I known then what I know now, I would have been downing activated charcoal, chlorella, and bentonite clay like candy. The way things are right now, though, the only things I can think to do are to mitigate toxin exposure when we have to be exposed (like cleaning that house) and to boost antioxidant activity.
Which is why we took the only detox substance we had on hand: activated charcoal. Away from food and other supplements, of course. K isn’t down with liposomal glutathione, yet, because it tastes like hairspray smells. I, on the other hand, don’t really give a shit about how supplements taste (not everything that’s healthful will taste like ghee from pasture-raised unicorns), and I took glutathione twice yesterday.
Today I found this lovely paper titled “A review of the mechanisms of injury and treatment approaches for illness resulting from exposure to water-damaged buildings, mold, and mycotoxins.” that was published in April of this year (full article available) that made me feel quite a bit more confident about what I chose to do in order to minimize toxic exposure from yesterday’s cleaning, where we got to breathe in a ton of mold and I chose to use two forms of synthetic cleaners: magic erasers and an oven cleaning spray. I felt bad for choosing to use them. Damn their convenience and amazing cleaning powers!
That’s great for yesterday, but… what about the other eleven months we spent there? And how, if at all, would my A1298C MTHFR mutation play into this? I keep reading about MTHFR mutations causing impaired detox capacities, but is that for my specific mutation or for the more commonly studied variant?
My only ideas right now are to keep doing what I’m doing, except make activated charcoal a more regular thing, and maybe to look into purchasing some chlorella and bentonite clay (does anybody know if cosmetic bentonite works??).
Supplement updates soon to come, my friends. Until then, I have questions for you:
1) Have you ever been exposed to mold over a long-term period?
2) How, if at all, did at affect you?
3) Have you found any methods of detoxing/recovering to be particular helpful?
4) Have supplements or detoxing ever caused acne breakouts on your forehead?
Especially that last one. I feel like I’m 14. I can’t even remember the last time I had more than a stray imperfection on my forehead, but right now I have all these tiny, inflamed, red zits! What is this malarkey?
In truth and beauty,